Wednesday, June 02, 2004

That's "Mysspellyngge," With Two G's

Memorial Day weekend wasn't quite the hellish episode I'd been anticipating. I'd sort of assumed everybody was going to pick up their barbecue grills and patio furniture sets and trampolines and swimming pools, but apparently that wasn't the case. Of course, the weather's also been unseasonably cold, so perhaps that ended up working in my favor. (I am by no means a lazy person. I just don't particularly enjoy running around at work like a chicken with his cranial unit having been forcibly and irreparably extracted.)

I will just say that most everyone I dealt with was amazingly, phenomenally rude to me today. My current theory is that people had a three-day weekend, and now they're grumpy and bitter that it's over, so they turn around and take it out on all the people in the service industry who didn't get a three-day weekend because we were too busy catering to all the people having barbecue cookouts and pool parties in fifty-degree weather.

My current pet peeve is people whose names aren't spelled correctly. Yes, I am just obnoxious enough that I'm purporting the notion that you may very well be misspelling your own name. For example, if you tell me your name is David Peterson, and it sounds like David Peterson, it's only natural for me to spell it as I've done so here. It's not like this is some brand-new name that you've plucked out of the ether. If, say, on the off-chance it's really spelled Dayvydde Pedersinne, you have my permission to calmly correct my spelling. You do not have the right to launch into some furious rant and proceed to act as obnoxiously as possible for the rest of our time together on this Earth. It's not my fault that your parents decided to get all cutesy and bastardize a perfectly decent, traditional name and ensure that nobody in the known universe will ever be able to spell it the way you want them to. I realize you're jealous that I have a normally-spelled name that doesn't take gratutious liberties with assorted vowel sounds. Please don't take it out on me.

Sorry, that's been building up for a while now.

I'm slowly in the midst of revamping my web site. It's a long and laborious process, and I don't like it. There are parts of the site I have no interest in touching again, if I can help it. Maybe I should just stick with the kitbashes and fan fiction and get rid of everything else. (Ah, but that would require deleting everything else that's online, and that in itself would take forever. Okay, so maybe I'm a little bit lazy.)

I've got all this creative energy right now and no outlet for it. I have a day off coming up, but I have complete confidence that I'm going to spend the entire day fixing leaky faucets and various other repairs that have needed to be done for the last week or two. It's really rather depressing. I'd hire somebody to do it for me, if I actually had anything resembling money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home